Feeling slightly addicted to your phone? Embarrassed by your weekly screen-time stats? It might be time to look up from your Instagram feed and get back in touch with reality.
Here are six quick reasons why everyone should take a break from their phone and re-connect offline.
- Taking time away from your device allows you to appreciate the journey, not just the destination, and be truly present in every moment.
- If you’re looking around (instead of down!) you’ll get to take in your surroundings – the smells, sights and sounds; the full sensory experience. We often don't realise how sensory-dulling all that mindless scrolling can be.
- You’ll be able to make real-world contact – simply smiling at people is empowering and boosts confidence. Plus, you never know whose day you might make!
- Hello, surroundings! Stepping offline gives you the space to notice new things - a new store, cafe, or park bench to sit on; all potential new experiences to be enjoyed.
- Allowing your mind to be completely free (not filled with social junk!) makes space for creativity and helps digest emotions.
- Putting down your device helps you appear more engaged and connected with the world – and more likely to drum up a conversation with a stranger – and potentially a new friendship.